Friday, March 1, 2013

My Roman Temple Coffee Table from Mostly Recycled Wood


After building over 100 coffee tables for other people, I finally got to work and made my own.

Being a fan of classical architecture, and this piece being only a few feet away from my partner's collection of Greek and Roman books, it seemed to make sense from the beginning to make my own Roman Temple.

The curved arches are something my mom showed up with. They were the wooden decorations that went under a giant glass table top.  I sliced them apart and mounted them on the wooden frame.  The columns are made from new and recycled trims.  The pulls are beautiful Victorian-era brass pieces.  The hinges are 1940s hammered black metal.

The finish is layered colors of royal reds and purples, coated with ebony and then sanded back into the wood. This brings out layers of color and wood grains.  I then do my secret wash and lots and lots of coats of spar varnish.

I use Flecto Outdoor Satin for most of my furniture needs and I'm very comfortable recommending it.

Mixed Media Woods, Antique and new woods and trims, recycled wood arches, Victorian brass pulls, latex paint, spar varnish.
Designed and Built by Brett Bigham, Black Dog Furniture Design, Portland, Oregon.


No comments:

Post a Comment