Sunday, March 17, 2013

Funky & Fun! Vintage Woods And Scraps Turned Into Something New!

This table top was the last two pieces of that amazing 1930s old growth Douglas Fir wood that came from an old warehouse.  I don't do a lot of white furniture (yawn) but this piece was really complicated with multiple layers of cut and patterned wood block and triangles on the stays.

When I finished this piece in my ivory color I decided that it could (and should) have a pattern on the top that   echoed all the triangle used in the wood blocking (each one of those raised pieces has a triangle pattern cut into them--it doesn't show in the photo well).

I was very pleased with the piece and gave it to an organization for a fundraiser. Though furniture, this was one of my pieces where I feel I went from furniture to art and back a few times.

Coffee Table: Old Growth Douglas Fir (milled in the 1930s), Pine, Recycled Victorian House Trim, Hand-turned legs/balcony railings, Miller Latex Paint, Spar Varnish.
Designed and built by Brett Bigham
Black Dog Furniture Design
Portland, Oregon





No comments:

Post a Comment