Sunday, March 10, 2013

Some Mosaic Work For A Restaurant Dessert Counter


My old gallery was a shared space with a dessert/coffee restaurant.  This was our sales counter.  I love doing mosaic work but you have to have pretty high standards. I hand-grind the edges of every piece of glass until they are smooth. This is my rule of thumb for mosaic work...there cannot be a single sharp edge.

It is a pet peeve of mine to see craftsmen putting out table tops that you cannot run your hand over without feeling sharp edges.  I picture children touching and running around every piece of furniture that I make.  That is why my corners are sanded down, by edges are grinded off and my pieces have extra redundant bracing  that makes them just a  little bit more sturdy.  Even my mirrors, when I use mosaic, have ground edges.  If you can't run a dust cloth across them without snagging, that's just not good craftsmanship.

Bullseye Stained Glass, Recycled woods, Miller Latex Paint, Spar Varnish.
Designed and Created by Brett Bigham for Balaboosta!
Portland, Oregon.

No comments:

Post a Comment