Sunday, March 17, 2013

Recycled Bed Posts & Pine became The Chocolate Harlequin Table


I like to name my pieces when I like them. This is the Chocolate Harlequin Dining Room Table. The legs are recycled bed posts from a middish 20th Century bed. The top was really beautiful Columbia Gorge Pine. I hand-cut the diamonds from vintage wood (left over ends from some staircase spindles I used on a table) and the corner trim was recycled out of a Victorian era home.

The colors are original colors for this piece.  When I make benches I will use paint straight out of the can but when I am doing a table I like to mix my colors to create new shades for the pieces I am doing that day.  For a harlequin table like this, I even mix up colors that are only used on one or two of the diamonds. I also layer the diamonds with colors (some have three or four layers of paint!) and then sand back down through the layers.  One diamond can be showing wood, four layers of brown and then I do washes over the piece as I varnish which adds layers of depth and color across the piece.

I sanded this table so long that you could run your hand across it and it felt like velvet.

It currently resides in a fancy mountain house on Mt. Hood.

Chocolate Harlequin Dining Room Table: Mixed Woods, Pine, Recycled Legs, Hand-cut Diamonds, Victorian Trims, Miller Latex Paint, Spar Varnish.
Designed and Built by Brett Bigham
Black Dog Furniture Design
Portland, Oregon

No comments:

Post a Comment