Sunday, April 21, 2013

Saved From A Burn Pile. The Story of the Bali Goddess.


This is the Bali Goddess.  I was on a motorcycle, out alone riding around the edge of a volcano outisde of Ubud, Bali, when I came across a hut with a big wooden bonfire set up in the field.  The fire was already burning on one side and there, poking out of the other side, was the Bali Goddess.  

The burn pile, at least part of it, appeared to have once been the carved pieces of a wooden temple.  There were carved beams and panels and beautiful roof ornaments.  And the Goddess with her beautiful face. I jumped off my motorcycle and ran up to the family,  I pointed to the Goddess and mimed that I wanted to save her. 

They did not understand and did not pull  her from the encroaching flames.  I wanted to grab her myself but feared they were performing a religious ceremony.  So I pulled out a handful of money.

"Oooooooh," said the Papa.  "Antique."

That was the only word of English they spoke. But they understood the value of the word.  $15 later (A fortune in Bali during the time...right in the midst of their financial meltdown.) The Bali Goddess (Who is almost 5 feet tall) was being strapped to my back so I could ride her down the volcano. It was quite the undertaking to get her home.

 When I bought the house in Portland I put her up on my front porch.  Each year I plant her a new type of vine, burn a little incense, try to give her a little bit of the tropical homeland she came from.  I believe she brings me good luck.  If not, she certainly brings beauty.

Happy Spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment