Saturday, April 13, 2013

How Is This For A Bunch Of Recycled Wood? The Ivory Harem Mirror.



This frame was more of an art project than a piece of furniture.  By slicing and layering trim I created recessed niches that resemble Ottoman Royal Architecture. I call the pieces with this tecnique "Harem" pieces.  The Harem at  Topkapi Palace in Istanbul was the isnpiration for this piece.

Since I wanted a girly mirror, I added some pressed wood appliques that are new.  I generally prefer to cut my own appliques but sometimes a fellow has to branch out a little bit.  Since I don't carve wood (yet...hmmmmmm....) I rely on antique carving and newly pressed wood appliques.

I have my own (secret) antiquing method for gold leaf.  I don't use it that often but every once in a while I make a piece that just cries out for a little gold leafing.  (Picture frames, I find, often need gold leaf to really show off the painting).

Ivory Harem Mirror: Pine, Antique Mirror Glass, Cedar, Victorian House Trim, Wooden Appliques, Hand-cut Diamond Appliques, Gold Leaf, Miller Latex Paint, Spar Varnish, Copper.

Designed and Built by Brett Bigham
Black Dog Furniture Design
Portland, Oregon

No comments:

Post a Comment