Saturday, April 13, 2013

One Of My All-Time Favorite Mirrors


I don't know what it is about this mirror but it is one of my all-time favorites.  I have some left-over 4x4 post ends and desided to cut them down into the diamond shape that I use so often.  I really liked the large-scale of the 4x4 diamonds and they were fun to work with.  I've often thought it would me nice to add them to my house. They would make a great architectural detail to our cottage style house.

For those of you new to my furniture, I often take commercial paints and then add tints and mix colors to make up my own unique colors.  On one of my patterned pieces there may be four or five unique colors to that piece alone.  

These variations in color ensure that I never make the same the piece of furniture twince. Even a matching pair of endtables will have variations in colors that make them unique. Over these colors I then do multiple layers of washes, varnish and tinted varnishes.

Since these variations are hard to keep track of I use my own terms.  Fire is for the hot colors like orange and red, Verde is the whole gamut of greens, Chocolate is for browns.  Since I rarely use blue I just call that blue or name it for the inspiration (Versailles Blue and Versailles Yellow are my versions of the colors from Versailles, for instance.  Ebony and Ivory are my neutrals...but don't take that to mean I like that song.  I don't.   The mirror above is Fire.

Fire Temple Mirror: Pine, New Pressed Moulding, Repurposed Victorian House Trim, Vintage Cedar, Antique Mirror Glass, Hand-cut Diamond Appliques, Miller Latex Paint, Spar Varnish.

Designed and Built By Brett Bigham
Black Dog Furniture Design
Portland, Oregon

No comments:

Post a Comment