Wednesday, February 27, 2013

When Art Collides With Recycling


I was never sure if I should have hung this on the wall instead of selling it as a table.

My mom showed up with t his very Atomic set of 1950s-60s table legs. They had such an interesting line that I felt sure that they could balance an interesting top. (I was torn between that and a plain black top.  In black it would have been flawless, but also something that anyone could put together).

So I pulled out all my green paints, mixed them all up to make all new colors and put together this dining room table.  It is one of my all-time favorite pieces and one of the pieces that finally made me see that I was an artist instead of a furniture builder. 

This was a hard piece to let go. Every time I thought about taking it to one of the stores I'd decide, "No, I'd better put one more coat of varnish on it."  Seriously, this table probably has 8 or 9 coats of varnish.  We'll all be long dead and that table top is going to look like the day I painted it.

I do believe we should  name it "The Dorian Gray" table.

Pine, Atomic legs, latex paints, spar varnish, more spar varnish, and then even some more spar varnish. Designed and built by Brett Bigham, Black Dog Furniture Design, Portland, Oregon.

That's another piece of mine lurking in the background but I don't think I took a picture of it.


No comments:

Post a Comment