Tuesday, February 26, 2013

1930s lumber, recycled legs, A Dang Fine Table


I found a stack of old growth lumber that had been milled in the 1930s but never used. In all the hundreds of pieces of furniture that I have built, this wood was my favorite material of all time.  The grain was amazingly beautiful and the wood was perfect and clear (even if it was hard as all getout).

I built a 10 foot dining room table out of it and had a few smaller pieces left over.  From that I built a set of shelves for myself (I will post a picture of those later) and this coffee table.  Sadly, I never got a photo of the ten foot table, but at least I had the sense to get a photo of this one.

The legs are recycled from an old bed. I call this painting technique my "cubist" pattern.  Each of the tiles of color have at least two undercolors so as you sand back into the grain of the wood several different colors are actually coming out on each tile.

Lurking in the background is another one of my pieces.  That blonde table is also of recycled wood.  The top  was a 1950s cupboard door, the legs also came from an old bed.

Mixed Media Woods, 1930s old growth lumber, recycled bed post legs, latex paint, spar varnish.
Built and designed by Brett Bigham of Black Dog Furniture Design, Portland Oregon.

No comments:

Post a Comment