Sunday, February 24, 2013

Shelves made from salvaged barn wood.


Our neighbor's 100 year-old barn collapsed in a windstorm a few years back.  He gave me some of the wood and I made this set of farm shelves. I painted the back wood green and then coated it in ivory.  The rest of the shelves I painted opposite. Ivory first and then the green over it. 

Because the wood was so old and weathered, the grain really stood out. With heavy sanding I was able to pull the grain out through the paint. 

My rule of furniture, no matter how rustic of a look you want, you should be able to run your fingers over it and never get a splinter. I feel the same way about mosaic work.  When I do a mosaic-topped table or mirror surround, I grind the edges of every piece of glass.  This piece not only required a crazy amount of sanding, it also took six coats of varnish before it felt smooth to the touch.

I've always wondered if the person who bought these shelves ever found the secret compartments?

Mixed Media Woods, Cedar barn wood, Latex paint, Spar varnish (and lots of it).
Designed and built by Brett Bigham of Black Dog Furniture, Portland, Oregon.

No comments:

Post a Comment