Sunday, February 24, 2013

A Very Cheerful Coffee Table


Every once in a while I get out the paints and just let myself go. I call this painting technique "brickwork". After a coat of undercolor (in this table it is ebony) there is a very tedious taping process but once that is done the painting goes rather quickly.  The black "mortar" around the bricks allows you to paint every brick at the same time.  With checkers or harlequins you can never paint two touching panels at once.  That means a  lot of waiting for paint to dry.

This is one of those pieces that I kind of figure that only I will like.  Too much color, kind of schizophrenic... and then it flies out of the store.  Not only did this fly out of the store, the woman who  bought it commissioned a matching dining room table!

Mixed Media Woods, Pine, Handcut Appliques, Latex Paint, Spar Varnish.
Designed and Built by Brett Bigham, Black Dog Furniture Design
Portland, Oregon


No comments:

Post a Comment